~July 22, 2005

It's The Name (bum bum) Old Song

Dufault. I don't have to explain this one. It's just amusing by dufault! AHAHAHAHAhahayeahokay.

Chakraborty. Another case of bottom-of-the-barrel "furrin' names 'r funny", but, seriously. IT HAS BORTY AS A SUBSTRING, PEOPLE.

Teagarden. Seems very British. Very punched-on-the-playground, too.

Wang. Of course, for all I know, "Millard" is slang for "colon" in China.

Alyce. Actually, I rather like this, but I can see it losing it's charm very quickly if attached to some manufactured pop-rocker, for example. "Alyce Bright" as the sequel to Avril Lavigne.

And now for a parsing question. I came across the name-string Mahdia Ben Salem in the course of my day. Someone had taken that literal string and parsed it as "Ben Salem Mahdia", first-middle-last name, as if there should have been a comma after Mahdia to suggest it is the surname.

I look at that string and think: first name Mahdia, last name ben Salem, coming from somewhere in the vicinity of the Middle East.

My interpretation holds up a little better under Google scrutiny, but it's times like this that I vaguely wish I'd spent a few years studying names and etymology. Of course, when I get thinking like that I end up racking up about 40 years worth of college to pursue all the mild intellectual fantasies that occur to me in the course of my daily life.

Random thought: a girl named "Jr." Susan Whitstone, Jr. Eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home