~July 09, 2005

Amazon running one for five


Why did Amazon seize so firmly upon Hello Kitty? Does it have good profit margins for them? Are they in bed with Sanrio?

This list is a reflection of things I've purchased for others, which is another weird vector. Are the things I buy for myself or the wife so dull that Amazon doesn't even dare recommend similar products?

How Hello Kitty got on there goes like this: I love me some Fallout. Classic. You just can't go wrong with Fallout. Fallout 2? Same story. And they used to sell, at the Fred Meyer's home electronics section, a crazy origami jacob's-ladder paper-boxed two pack of Fallouts one and two for ten bucks. Helluva deal. I already HAD them, though, and so didn't buy them, and by the time I had gotten around to losing mine, Freddies stopped stocking it.

So, of course, to Amazon! I had a gift certificate to blow. I put it in my cart, but had like 25 bucks left; and if I spent another 24 or so, free shipping! I threw in the Baldur's Gate 2 pack, because, hey, those were supposed to be pretty solid, but I was still a few bucks short for free shipping. So I picked out a Hello Kitty kid's book for my niece. Bam.

The one sparkle of hope in this list, the Lynch film, must be a reaction to our purchase of Twin Peaks Season One for my mother-in-law. I gotta admit that the juxtapostion against HK makes takes some of the sting out of the otherwise distressing portrayal of a crippling Sanrio fetish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home