~March 31, 2005

Neuralnexus Has Shit the Bed

The server where I keep all my shit, including my primary email account, is currently having some sort of trouble. And by currently I mean "for the last 36+ hours," and by some sort of trouble I mean "not being accessible in any way shape or form, shit shit shit, shitty shit. Fuckshit. Damn."

At times like this, I'm struck by the sudden wedge drawn between myself and my east coast compadres -- I usually email them to tell them something is up, so when what is up is that I can't get at my email...

So maybe one of my NNNites will wander by and leave a comment telling me what the goddam situation is. That'd be comforting.

6 Comments:

Blogger cortex said...

It's more an issue of sudden amputation -- my email account in particular is used, like an unsevered arm might be, to gather information from various sources. I am now stuck contemplating the bloody hamburger of a stump and feeling rather put out, electronically speaking.

Which is to say nothing of the valued but less-utilitarian comforts of IRC.

And hey, thanks for poking in, dude.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The short version of what is up is that your initial assessment is true: Ganglion (the NNN server) has entirely shat the bed.

From talking with Vic last night, it sounds like a partial disk failure. We have hopes that only the OS chunks of the disk were screwed, while the entirety of /home/ and the like seems to be intact. Still, it's going to be a while before we can fix it. Vic is going to bring the system to my place tomorrow night, and I'll see what I can do.

On a "it never rains, but it pours" note, this morning, the data center that hosts Morpheus (the implausible.net server) had a massive power failure. Thankfully, it sounds like it will be up sometime in the next few hours, but hooray for 8 hour or so outage. I feel your pain on the email loss, my brother!

10:13 AM  
Blogger cortex said...

Roj: I imagine Angela will be playing. I've got to get off to practice a little earlier this week.

Also, nnn-talk@gmail.com or some such workaround would be nice for future cataclysms.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

neuralnexus@gmail.com

password is the first name of the author of "What's In The Box"

-dbl

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you all have accounts on msmith1.umlcoop.net. your password is your username prefixed by an exclamation point. please change that with the unix passwd command when you login.

-dbl

1:03 PM  
Blogger cortex said...

I sure have backups of, uh, *much* of that stuff.

There remains the possibility that some things could be lost forever, however. Troubling.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home